Trauma Hand Surgery
Trauma hand surgery usually refers to any acute injury that requires urgent treatment. This practice endeavours to treat trauma patients in an emergency fashion. Friendly, super specialised service by Dr van der Spuy and his team will ensure that you have the best outcome recovering from any injury. The emphasis for any trauma patient in this practice is to ease the burden of discomfort and disability and to help the patient through the recovery process with the help of the hand therapists. Dr van der Spuy has a special interest in nerve surgery and any nerve injuries from the brachial plexus in the neck to the small digital nerves in the fingers. Nerve repairs are done with micro-surgical techniques to ensure the best possible outcome.
The following services are offered:
- Any injury from the elbow to the hand. This includes the spectrum from open injuries like lacerations to fractures and dislocations.
- Repair of any fractures from the elbow to the hand.
- Management of complex fractures and fracture-dislocations of the wrist.
- Management of any fractures or dislocations of the hand and fingers.
- Management of any lacerations of the hand from destructive grinder injuries to kitchen lacerations.
- Any soft tissue injuries that require soft tissue reconstruction (plastic reconstructive surgery) like skin grafts or local flaps.
- All tendon injuries.
- All acute hand infections like cellulitis, flexor sheath infections (tenosynovitis) or any hand abscesses.
- All sport injuries with advice and facilitation of rehabilitation.
- All work related injuries.